Monday, July 7, 2014

Favorite Books from My Childhood

This post is inspired by Amber from Mile Long Bookshelf's wonderful post!

I've always been into reading. According to my mom, she wanted to instill in me a love for the written word because she has always hated books. (Don't really know how that's possible.) Because of this, I have an overabundance of children's books on the bookshelf in my garage that I've held dear to me since my childhood. 

Get ready to witness A BLAST FROM THE PAST: *dramatic background music*

(Aside: Tierra also created a neat flowchart showcasing "The Years of My Life (in books)." You should check it out!) 

Listed in order from earliest to latest.

1. Sesame Street, Franklin books, and Winnie the Pooh
The books may or may not have ripped pages, but come on, I was younger than two when I first started enjoying these.

2. The Polar Express
I don't even celebrate Christmas, but this book and its illustrations (and the movie) were probably the highlights of my childhood.

3. Junie B. Jones series
Seriously the best books I read in Kindergarten/first grade. I remember I used to bring these books to school, on car rides, etc. (I KNOW WHERE MY BOOKISH HABITS ORIGINATE.) 

4. The Magic Tree House series
Hey, 2nd grade memories. This is where my obsession with fantasy/historical fiction starts. If it were up to me, I'd shove this book into every eight year old's hands.

5. Charlotte's Web and Beverly Cleary books
Charlotte's Web was one of the first books I actually cried in - like, tears and everything. I may have read it for a book report, but it still made it onto my favorites list. And Beverly Clearly's books were bomb when I was in 3rd grade.

6. Roald Dahl books
Can anyone deny that his books were the best?

7. Princess Academy and Caddie Woodlawn
Pretty sure I got these from my school book fair, and I STILL LOVE THEM *squees*

Do you see any books from YOUR childhood? What were your favorite books growing up?

3 comments:

  1. Junie B Jones and Magic Tree House were huge parts of my childhood as well as the picture books you mentioned. I was a huge Goosebumps reader when I was younger and then I moved onto Fear Street. R.L. Stine ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TRUE, TRUE. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I ever read Goosebumps; even though all my friends seemed to be obsessed with the series, I think I was either too scared or too into other books, haha.

    ReplyDelete